This study of the geomechanics of the Cretaceous Viking Formation at Giroux Lake on the Peace River Arch of Alberta was conducted prior to the drilling of a vertical Triassic Montney stratigraphic test and a whipstocked horizontal oil well.
• Preliminary geomechanical model using offset well data.
• Examination of drilling risk.
• Mud weight recommendations for both wells.
• Expected completion performance in the horizontal well.
• Recommended data collection in the vertical well.
• Analysis and update of the geomechanical model from the data collected in the vertical well.